Refuge for Domestic Violence Victims
Sandwell Women’s Aid 24 hour helpline: 0121 552 6448
“When I came here I was scared and lacked confidence, full of guilt and shame. Without the refuge I felt I would have ended my life or cracked up. I can’t express how much they helped me to get to where I am today. I’m just glad there are places like the refuge. They helped me to understand what I suffered was not my fault. My whole life has changed and I am ready to face the world outside.”
Sandwell Women’s Aid provides safe, secure and supportive accommodation which is available 24 hours a day for women and their children escaping domestic abuse. Our services are accessible for all women, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity or sexuality. Our refuge options include:
- Individual flats in a purpose built refuge
- Specific refuge for South Asian Women [link to Humdard]
- Dispersed supportive housing scheme
If you decide you no longer feel safe to remain in your home we can aim to find you space for you in a refuge within Sandwell. We can also find you refuge space elsewhere in the country if you choose. If you do not want to leave your home, we can talk to you about appropriate services that you can access - just call the number above.
What support will I get?
Sandwell Women’s Aid workers will listen to you, respect your decisions, and give you time, space and support. Within our refuges we can provide:
- One to one emotional support
- Support planning, and safety planning
- Legal issues: Assistance with both civil and criminal cases including child custody
- Emotional and practical support for children and families rebuilding their lives
- Support and advocacy with housing, welfare benefits, education, training and employment
- Accessing aftercare once you have moved out of refuge
- Culturally sensitive, multi lingual support including immigration advocacy and access to other agencies
- One to one counselling
- Group work and activities include ESOL courses, confidence building, Expect Respect programme, and Health and Wellbeing
- Referrals and signposting to other services
What about my children?
Children are very welcome at Sandwell Women’s Aid refuges. We have specialist family support workers who bring a child friendly approach into refuge and who can work with you and your children on a number of issues:
- Giving children time and space to talk as well as provide opportunities to meet other children and a chance to have fun.
- Running group play sessions for children or mums and children, and sessions with individual families to look at communication and relationship building between you and your children.
- Helping you find local school places for your children and building links with other organisations that have a role in children’s lives.
- Offering access to specialist children’s counselling service.
Family Support Workers play an important role in making sure that your children’s stay in refuge is as happy and fun as possible.
All services are confidential and follow professional codes of practice. This service is provided via The Supporting People Programme.